Irs code 977 what does it actually mean on transcript or where’s my refund? This will be the very first question when you see the reference number on your transcript or dashboard.
However, this article explains what the code 977 means on transcript or where’s my refund.
Noe the question we have here is;
What does Irs code 977 mean?
Irs code 977 means an amended return filed. It is a Posted Amended Return, Posted Consolidated Generated Amended, Late Reply, or DOL Referral.
Looking at the above explanation amended return filed isn’t specific at all and that’s why I recommend reaching out to the internal revenue service for a full explanation.
Irs code 977 meaning
According to the irs master code files, the code 977 on transcript identifies an input return which contained Condition Code G (Amended), or an IMF 1040X (identified by Block number 200-299). TC 150 is replaced with TC 977 by computer.
TC 977 is also systemically generated when a TC 971 AC 010 or 013 are input. An amount posted with TC 977 is a remittance amount and does not reflect adjustment in liability.
Any subsequent adjustment will be input via TC 29X or 30X. IMF: If an original return is not posted, CP 29 or 729 notice of amended return is issued 19 cycles after the duedate of the return. Tax module is frozen from offset out and refund until released by the original return (except 1040X).
Once you received your transcript or checked your where’s my refund dashboard and saw Irs code 977 and which you can’t seem to understand, please kindly contact the internal revenue service.
How do i get through to the irs customer service
Calling irs customer service isn’t a problem but where the problem lies is the customer service representative picking up the call. However, you can reach the irs through the following cell phone numbers.
Dial this number 1-800-829-1040 during their support hours which is usually 7 AM to 7 PM local time Monday to Friday.
Get started by dialing 1-800-829-1040 on your cellphone, select your language, pressing 1 for English or 2 for Spanish. Press 2 for questions about your personal income taxes.
Press 1 for questions about a form already filed or a payment. Press 3 for all other questions.
Press 2 for all other questions. Make no entry when queried for the SSN.Press 2 for personal or individual tax questions. And press 4 for all other questions.
Other irs cellphone numbers includes the following;
- 800-829-1040 for individuals who have questions about anything related to personal taxes. This helpline is only available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
- 800-829-4933 for businesses with tax-related questions, available from 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. local time
- 877-829-5500 for nonprofit tax questions, available from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. local time3
- 866-699-4083 for estate and gift tax questions, available from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Eastern time
- 866-699-4096 for excise tax questions, available from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Eastern time
- 800-919-9835 for taxpayers who contact the IRS concerning the Economic Impact Payment
- 800-829-4059 for taxpayers who are hearing impaired, no time restrictions
Can i chat with irs online?
Yes you can chat with irs customer service online and it is the most convenient way of contacting the internal revenue service.
All you need to do is to go to IRS website at IRS.gov and use the chat box to chat with any available customer service representative.
Why is tax refund taking so long?
Although the IRS states that you should receive your tax refund within a 21-day period, if you claimed the Earned Income Tax Credit or the Child Tax Credit, your return may take longer to process.
The IRS claims that if you filed your tax return as soon as possible – from January 24 – you will not receive your refund until the beginning of March.
Furthermore, any inaccuracies on your tax return can cause your tax refund to be delayed, so this could be a math difficulty or a mistake in stating the amount you received from the advanced Child Tax Credit instalments.
Some other reasons includes the followings;
- Additional or random security checks – especially if fraudulent activities were associated with your filing in the past.
- Amended returns require additional, and manual processing, which can see refunds delayed for up to four months.
- Missing or incomplete documentation or information in your tax return (sometimes, most online tax filing software checks for this, but manually filed returns are more at risk)
- Incorrect bank information or the account number provided in one’s tax return.
- If you are using a pre-paid card for the first time and were using a middleman bank (SBBT, Republic, Bofi, etc), some people have had their refund not deposited because the middleman bank does not test deposits to ensure the account is active and correct
- You filed an injured spouse claim
- Refund claims with an application for an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN) attached
- Refund offset which reduces your payment due to other federal or state obligations.
Whenever you see Irs code 977 on your transcript or where’s my refund dashboard, kindly note that it is an amended return filed. Also it means a Posted Amended Return, Posted Consolidated Generated Amended, Late Reply, or DOL Referral.