41 thoughts on “How to upgrade my gtbank account [online]”

1. I live with my grandma in uyo and in the community where she stays, nepa bill is paid to community youths who pays it on behalf of the residents. No nepa bill has been sent to the house officially. How do i pay utility bill when she doesnt have a nepa bill? Secondly when u talk about newspaper pub, it is any publication either old or new?
    Will be glad if prompt response is sent to me. Thank you

• Please ignore the newspaper publication cause the online process isn’t available anymore.

To update your gtbank account, you need to have your ID, utility bill and a passport. Since you don’t any utility bill like nepa bill or rent bill, I recommend you to borrow any nepa bill from your friends or family and do the upgrade.

2. This upgrading of a thing is very annoying
    After Upgrading my account which was restricted I have been trying to make transactions it was still telling to Meet my Banks
    Am Just tired

• I don’t understand, after upgrading/updating your account you can’t transfer and withdraw from the account?

If that’s the case then you should know that debit transaction has been restricted from your account which is in the case of frozen account. Maybe you didn’t do the KYC. By Monday you should go to the bank and know the reason such thing is happening.

• You mean the prepaid meter receipt?
      Yes you can but make sure that it has the address if your house. You can also use rent bill or any other bill that indicates your home address.

• Ma my bank which is stanbic ibtc is saying the money ought to revert back to the sender. They said, even if I upgrade the account, I still won’t see the money cos it must reverted back. While the sender is telling me he haven’t seen any reversal.
        And I agree to accept the payment through that account is bcos i felt the no matter the amount you’re depositing, the back ought to accept but refuse withdrawing until you come to clear your yourself or provide appropriate document.

• This is very poor from stanbic ibtc, way too poor I must admit.

I’m sure of zenith and first bank, the account manager usually call the customer to come update the account, and if they couldn’t reach the customer, they will reverse the money back to sender’s account.

Reversal usually takes a maximum of 5 working days. You should know that banks has their rules and regulations, so that’s the rule of stanbic ibtc.

3. Hello ma, I opened an account with GTBank last month which I went with voter’s card, Nepa bill and two passports. I told them I wanted an unlimited account and they responded that I can have it but the voter’s card I went with carries my maiden’s (Juliet Obosaye Imoisili)name while I opened with (Juliet Obosaye Obioha). Hope it will not affect the unlimited account stuff? They never complained about it though.

4. Hello ma, a sum of money more than my deposit limit was transferred to me and have done the upgrade but its still saying deposit limit exceeded.

• The question is, when did you did the upgrade/update, did you caller your bank to confirm if the account update is completed, and a successful one.
      Sometimes it can take up to five working days though it depends on your bank.

I do believe that it is not yet complete. You don’t need to go to the bank but kindly call your bank or send them an email along with your account number and let them run a check on your account.

5. My neighbor died but left her account with some money in it but, it is a small account that needs upgrade before withdrawal can be done from the account.
    How can I help the children upgrade the account?

• What business do you have with your neighbors account, and how do you know the amount in the deceased account?

This your question sounds fishy, and whereas there’s nothing like an account that needs upgrade before withdrawal.

If the children wants to withdraw the money from the account, they must provide a death certificate of the deceased, along with other documents from the court.

Lastly the bank will need the deceased next of kin to sign a statement before having access to the account, and in turn close the bank account.

• Naira debit card is your atm card which you use to withdraw money here in Nigeria.

The debit card is in naira because it is linked to your savings or current account which is in naira (the Nigeria currency).

Debit simply means removal or withdrawal.

If you have a dollar savings account, the debit card will be called dollar debit card.

6. Please how can some have a dollar debit card or should I say how can I register for a dollar account, please what are the procedure

• You have to go to the bank, and request that you want to open a domiciliary account which is a foreign account in Nigeria. After you have opened the domiciliary account, you can request for a dollar debit card.

Domiciliary account can save dollar, pounds, Euro, Yen, etc.

7. I have upgraded my account for the past 3 days now and I don’t know whether it is upgraded or not because I have not gotten a confirmation sms

• The bank will not send you a confirmation message, you have to contact them through their phone number or email address and inquire if they have updated your account.

You can still go to the bank if you have the time.

8. Morning, ma. Concerming the utility bill, I dont have mine and my landlord is the one who collects money then pays it for the compound. But I’m sure it would not have my name on it. Can I use this one as well?

• Name doesn’t matter on utility bill but rather the address.

Make a photocopy of the utility bill and go with it to the bank.

9. I went to upgrade my Gt bank account last week Friday but my account is still on restriction
    Should I go to the bank

• Last week Friday?

Common it’s too early. Wait till Thursday or Friday as Tuesday and Wednesday are public holiday.

10. Hi, good day
    We usually pay for pre paid electricity bill online so the bill comes as soft copy. Can I still use it for the upgrade?

• What you need to do is to go to the nepa office and pay any amount just for them to give you a receipt.

Remember to go with your prepaid meter number to pay for the bill.

With the hardcopy of the receipt you will use it to upgrade your bank account.

11. Please can I use school ID to upgrade my Gtbank account? I make use of Nepa card at home… What will I use for the utility bill, the card or receipt for last payment?

• No, you can only use the national ID, permanent voter’s card, international passport or the driver’s license as a means of identification.

Receipt of any of the last three months payment.

If you do pay online, kindly pay any amount at the (nepa office) just to get a receipt of your utility bill. Remember you can use a house rent receipt as well or even a water receipt.

12. I need more explanation about
    Regulatory ID Number and
    Regulatory ID expiry please.
    I need to upgrade my account with my National ID slip and nepa bill.

• Are you doing the upgrade online?

Definitely it won’t work unless you have to contact your account manager and send him or her your details through whatsapp, email or any other means.

• Send an email to your bank email address, or call your bank customer service representative and request they should give you or connect you to your account manager.

Mind you, you will have to give them your account name and account number before they will link you up with your account manager.