99 thoughts on “Maximum amount for student account in Nigeria”

• KYC meaning know your customer, very much applicable in first bank though not too sure of access bank. However, with the three requirements I stated you will use it to upgrade your bank account.

The KYC is to verify your address and complete the upgrade. Go with the three requirements to bank and if they do a KYC, they will let you know. There’s no big deal in KYC other than knowing where you leave or verifying your address.

• You have lost the nin paper that was given to you?

I will advise you to try and get a replacement for it cause the bank will require an ID to upgrade your bank account. You can use the permanent voter’s card, driver’s license, or the international passport.

1. I was credited 100k but before then I had 6,500 in my access bank student account which didn’t reflect afterwards but the 100k is in intact, but I haven’t been able to check my account balance or withdraw, don’t know if it’s network please I need answers

• Didn’t the bank call you to upgrade/update your account?

Try and check your account balance during banking hours, but better still call access bank customer service and give them your account number to run a check on your account. They will help you out.

These are their contact details;+234 1- 2712005-7, +234 1-2802500, 07003000000,
      01-2273007 (for Mobile Pin Activation)
      Or send email at: contactcenter@accessbankplc.com

2. To upgrade your account you said we need national identity card right? Can we use the nin paper given to us as our identity card?

3. My student account is in tier 1
    Current account balance=0.01
    But am expecting 236,000 from sportybet within the next 24hrs hope they won’t block my account
    Please i need answers as soon as possible

• The maximum amount is 300k while the maximum amount per single deposit is 50k to 100k though depending on the bank. However, if the amount is exceeded the bank will put the money on hold and will contact you immediately to update your account.

I will advise you to quickly go to the bank with your ID, nepa bill and passport to update your account immediately cause 236k has already exceeded the single maximum deposit.

4. Please I’m using a zenith student account I was sent 355k but it has not reflected in my account for some hours now do I need to contact my bank or will they transfer back the cash if it exceeds their limits because I’m thinking it’s maximum limit is 1 million like you said but I’m not also sure if it a two tier account all I know it’s a student account zenith please answers

• First you don’t need to panic. 355k has already exceeded the single maximum deposit for a student account in Nigeria which is usually 50k to 100k depending on the bank.

However, what the bank will do is to put the transaction on hold and will contact you to upgrade or update your bank account to a Tier 3 savings account. I’m sure by tomorrow the bank will give you a call.

So all you need to do is to get ready your ID like nin ID, voter’s card or if you have international passport or a driver’s license. Lastly is an utility bill like the electricity bill or rent bill that will confirm your current address and a passport. I recommend you to read this post of https://afribankonline.com/upgrade-your-bank-account/

5. Good evening ma.
    I Opened a Zenith Bank Aspire Account and i would like to get a debit card and also know the functions of it but i dont know what card i should get.Also i heard d maximum amount of what an aspire account can hold is 1 Million.Is that true?
    Please reply

• It is one N1M if the account is tier 2 and not tier 1. I’m sure what you opened is a Tier 1 which is limited to 50k maximum single deposit limit with a 300k maximum operating balance. Go get your debit card and if you know you will soon receive more than the stated amount, I will recommend you to upgrade or update to tier 3 savings account which has no limit.

• I’m sure they do but I recommend you to contact your bank. If you want to receive the best interest on savings account, you should go for a Tier 3 savings account.

6. I don’t know the level of my bank account but I registered with my National ID and NEPA bill as a student. Please what level do you think my account is?

• If you opened a bank account with a national ID, a passport and an utility bill, then you have a tier 3 savings account and which is the standard or regular bank account in Nigeria.

7. What happens if more than the maximum amount of a student bank is been transferred to the account
    And where will the money go?

• The bank will put the money on hold, give you a call to come update your account. Afterwards they will forward the money to your bank account.

If you didn’t come forward to update your account, they will reverse the money back to the sender’s account.

8. Good evening pls l open a student account few weeks ago pls l want to know step by step how much l can be withdrawing from the atm machine.:. I want to know wether it’s 20k each or 50k

9. Good evening
    I opened my zenith bank student account 5years ago
    I want to know if the maximum ugrade of 1million is general
    Or for just recents account openings

• What do you mean by this “I want to know if the maximum ugrade of 1million is general
      Or for just recents account openings?”

Once you upgrade/update your bank account to a level 3 or tier 3 savings account, there’s no limit.

• You mean to transfer or send 60k from your student account?

Yes you can.

But you cannot receive 60k at once in your student account unless you upgrade to a Tier 2 student account or probably go for level 3 (tier 3) savings account.

• Please ma is it possible for me to receive more than 2m, I want to know if it is possible for the money to enter my account. Please I really need to know

• Hold on wait a minute;

To Receive N2M in a Tier 1 or tier 2 account?

That is not possible at all, you have upgrade to a Tier 3 level account and you can receive N2M. Banks are usually suspicious from N10M especially if the account holder is too young or has never received such amount in it’s bank account.

10. When I want to open my account in zenith Bank I only use nin and passport.so like how much can my account carry for now.

11. If you didn’t provide any utility bill, then it is a level 1 or level 2 account which is limited N300k for level 1 (tier 1) and N500k to N1M operating balance for level 2 (tier 2).

• Good evening how much can I transfer into my student account in a week?.
      Am using Gt bank.
      Can it exceed #50,000 in a week?

• If you read the post you will see where I stated you cannot exceed the N50k unless you update your account to a level 3 savings account. Mind you, it requires you have an utility bill, passport and and ID (not school ID).

12. Yeah I know, i mean can I receive more than 50k in a week. You know maximum deposit is 300k so can I receive more than 50k in a week.

• I can see you didn’t understand the post, when I said a maximum of N50k single deposit, I meant to say you can’t receive more than N50k at once.

You can receive N50k twice in a day, so if you’re to receive N100k or N200k, the sender should split the amount into two or four times and you’re good to go.

The maximum operating balance is N300k, that is the highest amount you can have in the account is N300k.

13. A hundred thousand naira was transferred into my account but I didn’t see it, I went to bank nd I was told to upgrade my account which I did, but up till now I hv bn checking my balance nd the money is still not dere. My bank is Ecobank nd my account is savings account. Is almost 3 days I upgraded my account. What could be d problem? Did d money bounce back to d sender’s account or wat?

• First contact the sender and ask if the money was reversed back to his or her account, if the answer is yes, let him resend or her resend the money. Though it usually take a maximum of five working days to reverse the money.

If the answer is no, kindly contact your bank and inquire if they have successfully updated your account. Account update/upgrade can take up to three to four days to be completed.

Please confirm if the account update was successfully before asking the sender to resend the money, if the money bounced back.

14. My account is a student account because I opened it with my admission letter but I thought the maximum amount to be sent into a student account is 500k and 500k was sent into my account from India on Monday and today is Friday which means I should receive the alert today but I don’t know if I will able to get the alert because it has exceed the maximum for student account please what do I do and will I be credited

• When you opened the student account didn’t they specify the maximum single lodgment or deposit to you?

N500k is way off even for a tier 2 student account.

Some banks will put the transaction on hold and call you to come upgrade your account, while some will ignore and reverse the money back to the sender’s account.

I will advise you to go to the bank and upgrade your bank account using your ID, utility bill and a passport.

15. What do you mean by verified?

Once you successfully linked your bvn to your new bank account, you’re set to make debit transactions immediately.

16. Does the 300k limitations include Fidelity Bank cause I’m afraid it might be 100k and I’m expecting money soon that will complete my acct Bal 100k hope it won’t be placed on hold

17. Good afternoon ma’am

18. 300k is the maximum operating balance, and you cannot receive N100k at once. You have to ask the person to split the money into two, that is 50k and 50k.

If it exceeds 50k the bank might put the transaction on hold or reverse the money back to the sender’s account.

19. Please i received alert of 87k on my students account and immediately I got a text that I have reached the transaction limit on my account that I should visit any branch with a photo id to upgrade or enable transactions does it mean I will have to go the bank or wait for 24hours before I withdraw because I can’t withdraw any money

• The transaction is currently on hold. Tomorrow you have to go to the bank to upgrade your account, and if you didn’t show up after tomorrow, the bank will reverse the money back to sender’s account.

20. Good evening pls I receive a sum of 70k on my student account.. and it didn’t reflect ask me to visit the nearest bank.. will I be able to get the money tomorrow

• Whej you get to the bank it is likely the bank will ask you to upgrade your bank account or te reverse the money back to the sender’s account.

21. Please ma,I was told to upgrade my GT bank account but I am with the photocopy of the NIN paper that was given to me because I’m presently in school and it’s far from home. Can I still go to the bank with the utility bill and photocopy of the NIN paper?

• The photocopy of the nin means the nin slip given to you right?

Banks do accept the nin slip as long as it has your nin number on it.

22. Hello,,; please if I have 300k in my student account and I was able to transfer it another account, can money still be deposited in my account within that same day

• Tell me, are you 13yrs of age?

Hmmm wow. Nice to see you here though.

A 13yr old cannot have a student account, I’m sure you’re still in secondary school. You have to wait until you reach 16yrs in order to have a student account in Nigeria.

I hope you understood.

23. I upgraded my student first bank account with NEPA Bill,I now want to know how much the account can take,my daily transfer limit and how much I can receive per transfer

• It means you didn’t bother to read the post before asking the question cause what you’re asking, I have already explained that in this article.

24. I went to the bank last week Monday to upgrade my account ma but i did not get any text message from GT bank that my account upgrade to Tier 3 has been successful. Is there any need for me to go back to the bank tomorrow to complain?

• The bank don’t usually notify the customer if the upgrade was a successful one, you can go to the bank and inquire if upgraded/updated your bank account.

You can also call gtbank customer service and they will help you instead of going to the bank.

25. Pls I haven’t upgraded my account yet, I demanded a MasterCard they didn’t give me instead they gave me a verve card. I want to know if the bank will still grant me another card which is the MasterCard with the same ATM number after ugrading my account.

• Are you talking about first bank?

Yes you can request for a mastercard and whereas you can’t use first bank Verve card to make payment online.

• Oh zenith, the Verve card may not be necessarily used for online payment but rather withdrawal here in Nigeria.

You can request for a mastercard or visa card from the bank.

• Honestly both are good though debit mastercard is very much good for online payment while visa is superb for credit card.

• 65,000 naira was transferred to my account which is a student account even though it reflected,I’ve been unable to withdraw, transfer or recharge on my bank app

• It means your bank account has been restricted by the bank. On Monday you have to go to the bank along with the necessary requirements to upgrade your account or ask the reason why the bank restricted debit transaction.