Irs code 971 on transcript, what is it all about?
What is they code trying to explain me!
This is the first question that will pop into your head when you see the code 971 on irs transcript.
However, there’s nothing to worry about or get a headache trying to figure out what the irs code means cause I’m going to explain that to you in a much simpler way.
Before I answer the question on what is irs code 971, first, try to understand what a tax transcript means cause it will be lot helpful to you.
What is a tax transcript
A transcript is is a quick statement of a user important tax information from the federal tax return. Tax transcripts provide an official overview of the information a lender may want to see, just like the adjusted gross income.
Tax transcripts previously contained a wide range of personally identifying information, including sensitive information such as your Social Security number.
However, the IRS has altered the format to better safeguard filers from identity thieves who might use tax transcripts to submit false tax returns or steal personal information.
Now let’s jump in to the topic we have here, what does irs code 971 mean on tax transcript.
What does irs code 971 on transcript mean
Irs code 971 on tax transcript simply mean an individual has qualified to receive an unemployment tax refund and also notify the amount which the individual which get from the refund.
This is what the code is trying to explain here, you as person is getting an unemployment tax refund, and the amount which you be paid from the refund through a direct deposit, check or through mail.
So if you want to check whether you will be getting an unemployment tax refund, kindly open the irs website, login and view your tax transcript account, and check if you will see the irs code 971 on your tax transcript.
You don’t know how to check your irs tax transcript, below is how you can go about it.
How to check irs tax refund for Irs code 971
Checking your tax transcript is lot better and very convenient if you use the online method, and I recommend it to you. One of the best seamlessly way of checking your tax transcript by simply using your mobile phone or your computer.
Very essential in trying to know Irs code 971 on tax transcript.
Now let’s proceed.
First, you have to open the Irs website. As a first time user, you have to register your account. You cannot view your tax transcript online without registering your account on the irs website.
So kindly do that without wasting time.
Once you have registered your account, you will have the privilege to access all the types of tax transcript online, and you can view, download or even print out your transcript.
Tap on the button to create an account, and you only need to enter your full name, email, date of birth, social security number (ssn) or individual tax identification (ITN), tax filling status and your current address.
Kindly note that IRS will verify your address so you better enter the correct informations about yourself and don’t make a mistake or ommit a word.
So kindly go through the entire process and create your account. It shouldn’t take more than 10 minutes and you should be done with the account creation.
After you’re creating your account, go the Irs transcript tool page and tap get my transcript online as shown below.
Enter the non-filer’s Social Security number, email address, filing status, account numbers for loan or credit card associated with your name, and mobile phone associated with your name. Click Continue and you’re good to go.
By viewing your transcript online, you may come across the irs code 971 on your transcript, and if it was sent to you.
The best way to check your irs tax refund is by;
Opening the Where’s my refund tool, and you will see three separate boxes to enter your filing status, refund amount and Social Security number.
You shouldn’t make a mistake while entering these informations and they should match with the informations you provided while creating your account.
When you’re done entering all the stated information, simply tap on the “Submit” button on the page to see the status of your refund.
If you received irs code 971 definitely you will see on your tax transcript status and which indeed is a good news cause you will be getting the unemployment tax refund very soon.
Upon check you tax refund status and you come across the code, and you’re like;
What does code 971 mean on irs transcript 2021?
It simply means you’re about to receive an unemployment tax refund, and the exact date you will get the refund. Remember, you will be paid through a direct deposit, check or by mail.
Other ways to check if you have received the irs transaction code like the irs code 971 on your transcript or to know your refund status is by calling the irs customer service representative.
Maybe you’re in a remote environment where there’s no network coverage or probably you don’t fancy checking your tax refund through online, offline is a good method as it doesn’t require internet service.
All you need to do is to dial this very number 800-829-1954, speak with the customer service representative, and they will issue the tax refund or give you your irs tax refund status.
These are the best methods to use in checking or knowing your irs tax refund status like the irs code 971 on transcript, through online or by simply calling the customer service representative even though they are not 24/7 available.
What is a 971 notice from IRS?
971 notice from IRS have different meanings and they are listed below;
- tax return processed to wrong identifying number or tax perio
- Account match for federal levy payment program
- Amended return sent back to originator
- Amended tax return or claim forwarded for
- Amended tax return processed as the original tax return
- Amended/duplicate tax return processed to wrong identifying number or tax period (year & quarter)
- Balance transferred to split liability account
- Bankruptcy notification received
- Collection due process (hearing) request withdrawn because you resolved the issue with IRS
- Collection due process (hearing) resolved by Appeals – Notice of Determination letter issued, you waived judicial review or withdrew the hearing request
- Collection due process equivalent (hearing) request received
- Collection due process equivalent (hearing) request withdrawn because you resolved it with IRS collection
- Collection due process equivalent (hearing) resolved by appeals – decision letter issued or you withdrew the hearing request
- Collection due process levy (hearing) request or levy and lien (hearing) request received
- Collection due process Notice of Intent to Levy issued
- Collection due process Notice of Intent to Levy — refused or unclaimed
- Collection due process Notice of Intent to Levy — return receipt signed
- Collection due process Notice of Intent to Levy — undeliverable
- Collection due process request received timely
- Collection referred to a private debt collection agency
- Duplicate notice sent to spouse
- Duplicate taxpayer identifying number – notice sent
- Earned income tax credit filing status case
- Earned income tax credit relationshipresidency certification
- Final notice before levy on social security benefits
- Full bankruptcy discharge
- Fully accepted offer in compromise Miscellaneous Transaction
- Funds offset when changing filing status from single to joint
- Hardship refund
- Injured spouse claim received
- Innocent spouse balance cleared
- Innocent spouse claim received
- Installment agreement established
- Issued notice of lien filing and right to Collection Due Process hearing
- No longer in installment agreement status
- Offer in compromise received
- One spouse requested an installment agreement
- Partial bankruptcy abatement
- Pending installment agreement
- Qualified child for the earned income credit recertification process
- Request for replacement refund
- Tax court petition
- Tax period blocked from automated levy program
- Unclaimed notice of lien filing and right to Collection Due Process hearing
- Undeliverable notice of lien filing and right to Collection Due Process hearing
- Undelivered taxpayer notice of back-up withholding
- User fee paid to establish installment agreement
- User fee paid to reinstate installment agreement
- Withholding allowances limited – letter sent to employer
Remember, this is a notice and quite different meaning from the irs code 971 on transcript.
What is a 971 form
The publication 971 explains when a spouse on a joint tax return may be exempt from paying tax, interest, or penalties. Married couples who filed joint returns are eligible for three forms of relief: Innocent spouse relief, Separation of liability relief, and Equitable relief.
Kindly note that this is quite different from the irs code 971 on transcript.
- Can a creditor take all the money in your bank account
- If your bank account is frozen can you withdraw money
Whenever you see irs code 971 on transcript, you will know what it means, and once for the last time it simply means a notice to an individual on getting the unemployment tax refund and also notify the amount which the individual which get from the refund.
You can always use the online method or probably the offline method to check your irs refund status just like the irs code 971.